The World in the Satin Bag has moved to my new website.  If you want to see what I'm up to, head on over there!

Saturday, May 05, 2007

CC Updates

I have just discovered that the premium membership at CC only allows me to start a private queue for all of you to use who don't have premium memberships that will only let me post to the group and not you. This defeats the entire purpose of the group obviously. So I'm wondering now a few things. The reason I really enjoy CC is because of the 'inline critique' template, which makes critiquing super easy online. I don't think it fair to ask people who don't use CC to go off and pay for a membership, but at the same time I don't know of any place that offers an easy way to critique. The only thing I can think of is sending things to one another via snail mail, but I completely understand why nobody wants to do that. There isn't any way I can think of to snail mail without giving away addresses. I don't have a P.O. box, but I'm also completely unworried about anyone knowing where I live really, at least in regards to a critique group. But, again, I understand if nobody else likes this method.
So here are the options I have right now:
1) Everyone who wants in gets a premium membership ($34 dollars for a full year, $24 for six months) . It isn't really a lot of money, but for some of you who are full time students it is. It's a commitment that I can't ask any of you to make. That would be unfair.
2) We say "screw CC" and go elsewhere. I don't know where to go that will give us at least some way to organize our critiques, nor where we can get that 'inline critique'.
3) Someone tell me or teach me how the heck they can easily do critiques in word with whatever crazy feature they use. (Someone mentioned this to me. This would mean we could just send MS word docs, or RTF files to one another and do it that way. Perhaps start some sort of mailing list or whatever for it. This would mean not using CC of course, but I probably could utilize my premium membership for doing a real good run through of WISB since I am considering publishing it). And there has to be some sort of quick key for this otherwise it will make clicking around take way too much time.
4) Someone give me another idea of what the heck to do about this. I'm a little lost here.

So, does anyone have any ideas?

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

1 comment:

  1. Well, I can help out in utilizing Word :) I did a simple search in the Microsoft Search Help & found an interesting add-in for writing, editing, & formating manuscripts ...

    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/marketplace/EM011298471033.aspx

    I have also used options in Word that may help critquing ...

    1)Format, Font, choose the Strikethrough or other effects

    2)Insert, Comment ...

    3)Tools, Track Changes option

    4)Tools, Online Collaboration

    -I would use the Help feature in Word for more details. You may have already know all the above info, but if not, I hope it helps.

    Good luck with the Group :)

    ReplyDelete