The World in the Satin Bag has moved to my new website.  If you want to see what I'm up to, head on over there!

Wednesday, April 08, 2015

My #HugoAwards Final Ballot (To Be Submitted in the Future)

Over the weekend, I explained why I intended to use No Award and Blank Spacing as a response to the Sad Puppies / Rabid Puppies campaign to manipulate and take over the Hugo Awards.  Since I am fundamentally opposed to slate-based voting measures, I can't in good conscience support works which appear on this year's ballot as a result of the SP/RP slates.  And so I won't.

Others, of course, may have different views.  TheG intends to give most things on the ballot a fair shake under the guise that voting No Award would unfairly punish those that are on the ballot but are otherwise not really part of the SP/RP world.  He admits, though, that this is hardly a strong response.  Where we do agree, however, is that there are some problematic cases here.  Some folks are on the ballot who didn't know they were included in the SP/RP slate and would have declined if they had known.  However, I'm of the mindset that support for anything on the ballot may be perceived as tacit support for the entire campaign -- a point on which Abigail Nussbaum and I agree.

With that said, voting will be rather easy for me, since the SP/RP folks have taken almost every slot on this year's ballot.  Here's what my ballot will look like when I'm allowed to submit it (feel free to lob your disagreements or what have you in the comments):
Best Novel
  • Ancillary Sword by Ann Leckie
  • The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu
  • The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison
  • No Award
Best Novella
  • No Award
Best Novelette
  • The Day The World Turned Upside Down by Thomas Olde Heuvelt (Lightspeed Magazine, April 2014)
Best Short Story
  • No Award
Best Related Work
  • No Award
Best Graphic Story
  • Ms. Marvel Vol. 1
  • Saga Vol. 3
  • Sex Criminals Vol. 1
  • Rat Queens Vol. 1
  • No Award
Best Dramatic Presentation, Long Form
  • Interstellar
  • Captain America:  The Winter Soldier
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Edge of Tomorrow
  • The Lego Movie
  • No Award
Note:  I'm going to make an exception for the long/short form media categories because it's unlikely the works listed wouldn't have made it anyway.

Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form
  • Game of Thrones:  "The Mountain and the Viper"
  • Orphan Black:  "By Means Which Have Never Yet Been Tried"
  • No Award
Note:  I haven't yet watched the others yet, so I may include them in the end.  The Doctor Who piece is unlikely to make it because I've completely bounced off the show.

Best Editor, Short Form
  • No Award
Best Editor, Long Form
  • No Award
Best Professional Artist
  • Julie Dillon
  • No Award
Best Semiprozine
  • Strange Horizons
  • Beneath Ceaseless Skies
  • Lightspeed
  • No Award
Best Fanzine
  • Journey Planet
  • No Award
Best Fancast
  • Galactic Suburbia
  • Tea and Jeopardy
  • No Award
Best Fan Writer
  • No Award
Best Fan Artist
  • Ninna Aalto
  • Brad W. Foster
  • Elizabeth Leggett
  • Spring Schoenhuth
  • Steve Stiles
John W. Campbell Award (It's a Fucking Hugo SHUT UP)
  • Wesley Chu
  • No Award
I strongly encourage you to use "No Award" if you are opposed to ballot stuffing and the blatant politicization of the Hugos, as has clearly happened this year.  Leave everything off the ballot that was on the SP slate.  Send a message.  Gaming the Hugos will not be tolerated.

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

No comments:

Post a Comment