The World in the Satin Bag has moved to my new website.  If you want to see what I'm up to, head on over there!

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Top Ten Books I Want to Read That Just Came Out and College

Well, with Chapter Four done finally, and the week closing now, it's time for a little blog about things that have gone on this week. Plus, it's a non-post-a-chapter-week, so yeah.

First things first is what I did this Saturday. It was awesome. I drove a good three hours to San Francisco at 5:30 AM to go to an open house I was invited to for the University of San Francisco, a Jesuit Catholic private school. No, I'm not Catholic, nor do I intend to be. You don't have to be Catholic to go there thankfully.
The college is gorgeous. St. Ignacius Church is amazingly beautiful. The campus is really nice looking despite being from around the 40's, 50's, and 60's. It actually burned down in that big fire in San Fran long ago, so it's a rebuilt campus, which is interesting.
The actual environment is extremely positive too. Everyone was glad to help and answer questions. The teachers were helpful and informative and the amazing part is they actually want you to succeed. Classroom sizes are smaller than at state colleges, another plus. Essentially it is the top school on my list that I am applying to. Hopefully I get in and can afford to go there!

Now for other things. I'm getting ansy right now because I don't have the ability to read full novels due to being in college. It's hard to keep my attention when I've got text books to read, but at the same time I'm can't take not being able to read something fantastic and interesting.

So, now for a top list of some form. Today is top ten books I want to read that just came out. These are in no particular order. Here goes!

1) The Children's Hospital by Chris Adrian: Something about this book caught my eye. It is a post apocalyptic religious novel of sorts. It deals with a massive flood across the world, sort of like with Noah, and these people in a hospital for children. There is a lot of supernatural stuff, such as angels and magic abilities, that take place too.






2) Old Man's War by John Scalzi: This is a new take on interstellar wars, sort of in the same style as Starship Troopers by Heinlein. It sounds really interesting nonetheless.









3) The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly: Another interesting book about going to alternate worlds through portals and the like. This one has a great title too.









4) World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks: Need I say anything more about this title?










5) Off Armageddon Reef by David Weber: Imagine a society of humans so afraid of contact with alien races that the government actually uses religion to keep the entire world in medieval times, until something happens to upset that balance.








6) Shadowfall by James Clemens: A once great man who has fallen into the life of a beggar witnesses the murder of a goddess and finds himself on the road to finding the real killer, while everyone else thinks he's the one that did it. Sounds quite awesome to me.








7) Galaxy in Flames by Ben Counter: I've never really read any military scifi, but the cover to this one really grabbed me. It looks fantastic and the idea behind it sounds epic.









8) To Outlive Eternity and Other Stories by Poul Anderson: Who can resist Poul Anderson? I can't. A collection of shorts by this great writer sounds like heaven!









9) Empire by Orson Scott Card: This book takes on the idea of a civil war erupting between blue and red politics, literally. Another civil war, only in the now. Imagine!









10) Rollback by Robert J. Sawyer: A woman receives the first alien message, decodes it, and waits. Years later, in her eighties, she receives another. In order for her to decipher it for the world she has to have an experimental procedure to 'rollback' her physical age. Neat no?







So there you go. Enjoy!

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

No comments:

Post a Comment