The World in the Satin Bag has moved to my new website.  If you want to see what I'm up to, head on over there!

Friday, September 15, 2006

TGIFF

What exactly is TGIFF (a.k.a. tiggiff)? It stands for Thank God It's Finally Friday. The general consensus among my multiple personalities is that Friday is the best day of the week. Why? It's the first day of my weekend (I get 3 days off, four 10's...) and it means that I don't have work for two days. It's in the best position because it's the first day I get to sleep in, and it's just an all around happy day.

I figure with this post, as I prepare to post the first chapter to The World in the Satin Bag, I can do a little book review of something I read recently and do a little talking about my writing in general. So here goes.

Eon by Greg Bear
If you haven't read this book and you like hard scifi, then you should read this. It was originally printed in 1986 by Tor and has been reprinted a few times now. I found it at Walmart and bought it sort of on impulse. I've never read Bear's works before, nor heard much about him other than the few times I have seen his name. After reading the back, something I rarely ever do, I had to give it a shot.
This book is by far one of my favorite books of all time. It revolves around a couple of characters set in a slightly futuristic Earth (we're talking only slightly more advanced than where we are at now, but not so much so that it's too fantastical). This giant asteroid swings in and sets up orbit around Earth, on purpose mind you. It actually slows down and sets up orbit. Anyway, this is in an Earth where the Cold War hasn't yet ended (and when this bookwas written the Berlin Wall hadn't been torn down yet, so it makes sense). Inside the Stone they find humanesque cities and mankind begins exploring it, well certain people do because most of the info is kept pretty secret on purpose. So, basically it starts there with the research and there is a big plot twist that comes and such.
I can't ruin how the book goes. I just can't. All I can say is they find out that the Stone is from an alternate future and it parallels the events happening on Earth only it shows what happens in their future. Does that make sense? The explorers basically are reading about a future that has not happened yet on their Earth but something that had happened on the Earth where the stone is from.
The book tells you a lot more about what is going on and how all that is possible and some other amazing aspects that you can't miss. Seriously, give this one a thought. It's a great book.



Alright, so writing has been interesting. I have some stuff up on Critique Circle, this great website that gives critiques obviously. I was also reading some previously written things and really enjoying them. Some of my stuff is a lot more complicated than what I am writing for this project, and rightly so as I write a lot of scifi shorts and such. This is more of a longer work obviously and since it is fantasy based it won't be as complicated.
Anyway, I think this is going to work really great for me. I think :).

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

No comments:

Post a Comment