The World in the Satin Bag has moved to my new website.  If you want to see what I'm up to, head on over there!

Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Movie Review: Tron: Legacy (A Brief Review)

And by brief, I mean really brief.  I'm currently working on a late review for Strange Horizons, which will be my take on the worldbuilding.  However, since I quite enjoyed the film, I wanted you all to have my scores for the various aspect of the films, which I usually do at the end of every review.  I'll post a very brief explanation under each.
Directing: 3/5

Kosinski gets okay performances out of the cast, but his new director shoes are definitely showing.  I hope his work on The Black Hole remake is better (the same guy who wrote The Clash of the Titans is attached to the project, though, so I don't have high hopes).  It would suck something awful to remake a classic and give us, well, room temperature scifi water.  He's not a terrible director, like Uwe Boll, but hopefully we'll see improvement from here on out.

Cast: 3.5/5
The case is decent.  Bridges is not at his best, but nobody is awful in this movie.  That's a plus.  It's not bad casting, but they're not used well.  The fellow behind Castor is brilliant, though, even if he is insanely eccentric.

Writing: 3.75/5
Yes, the plot is simple, but since worldbuilding is a part of the writing, they get a huge bump up for creating a really brilliant world, and a plot that actually makes sense.  Simple may not be what people want, but it's better than creating an overcomplicated mess.  Legacy isn't a mess.  It's logical.  All of it.

Visuals: 4.75/5
Overall, the visuals are amazing.  They've done a fine job weaving the world together.  The only flaw I think is worth mentioning is that sometimes young Bridges looks a little too computerized.  They're still impressive effects in general, but there are moments where things aren't where they should be.

Adaptation: N/A
It's not an adaptation of anything, per se.

Overall: 3.75/5

Value: $9.75 (based on a $10.50 max)(this number is based on movie ticket value)
I loved the film.  I'd recommend science fiction fans to see it with the intention of watching a fun movie.  Don't go into this expecting Inception or Sunshine.  It's good cyberpunk fun!

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:19 PM

    I really have to disagree with the "logical plot" claim, simply because of one, huge, glaring nonsensical moment.
    Quorra's presence in the real world at the end.
    I can go along with a program that sucks people into it like Tron wanted us to believe. But I can't follow along with a program that can transfer a program to the real world, with a whole physical body (human and everything). That's just completely illogical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, so you can go with a program that digitizes organic tissue and reverses it, but you can't buy that a fully evolved digital organism can be organic-ized?

    That's absurd. There's nothing different about the two processes except the origin, which doesn't change the fact that both organic and digital "peoples" function in much the same way within the Grid.

    ReplyDelete