The World in the Satin Bag has moved to my new website.  If you want to see what I'm up to, head on over there!

Saturday, April 14, 2012

#NaPoWriMo Entry #10: "Feather Skies"

Hooray for poems about birds!  Nature rocks.

Today's poem was inspired by the following:
Brownie points for anyone who can figure out what kind of bird that is...

Here's the poem:

"Feather Skies"
The warbling Northern Mockingbird
chirps a stranger's tune,
acid words spilling from his beak:
"HUMAN...Human...human...safe!"

Others announce my arrival in turn,
turning their beaks to the side
so their blackberry eyes
can see the world beneath their wings.
"human...Human...HUMAN!"
I watch them, curious at their undying attention,
like the reverse end of a lover's coin.
"Human...human...safe!"

Who am I to these air sirens?
Who do I become in their eyes?
"Move away...Move away...Move away now..."
There, the mother hen clucking her little orders;
There, the little whisper of the Earth mother
serenading the world with wild harmonies.
"human...Human...HUMAN!"

I look in their beads of ethereal visions
and see myself reflected as if by an ocean.
"Human...human...safe!"
And in that moment, I see myself,
the bird man waiting to fly
on skies of upturned buckets,
toes wriggling in the fog where feathers play.

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

No comments:

Post a Comment