The World in the Satin Bag has moved to my new website.  If you want to see what I'm up to, head on over there!

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

An Amusing Aside: Aliette de Bodard on Fantasy Set in Non-Western Cultures

I don't know if this is a trend in the blogging world, but not long after I posted my thoughts on why European-influenced fantasy is so prevalent in the publishing world, Aliette de Bodard took the reigns over at A Dribble of Ink to talk about the other end of the scale:  writing fantasy set in non-Western cultures.

Here's an excerpt:
For me, that’s the single most important step of drawing inspiration from another culture: if I don’t get this right, then my Aztec warriors will end up sounding like English knights in costume, and I might as well not have tried. Your mileage might vary; I think it’s disrespectful to raid a culture for the colourful exotic trappings and not put in anything of its basic values, though there is a question of where to draw the line between drawing inspiration and rendering the exact same culture in a secondary world fantasy (a thorny problem I mostly skirt around, as I’m writing historical fantasy set in the actual Aztec Empire).
 I think it's interesting to see people treating this subject in much the same way as folks have been treating "writing the Other."  I also think it's interesting to see more and more attention going to SF/F which isn't oriented specifically in traditional Western culture (i.e., European-oriented Western culture).  A trend?  I don't know.  Maybe.  Lavie Tidhar over at the World SF blog has made some serious waves in my opinion -- so much so that he got a nod in my MA thesis.

Definitely check out Bodard's full discussion if you want to know more.

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

No comments:

Post a Comment