The World in the Satin Bag has moved to my new website.  If you want to see what I'm up to, head on over there!

Saturday, March 05, 2011

Arthur C. Clarke Award Nominees -- Some Thoughts

Everyone has been pointing out the Arthur C. Clarke Award nominees in the last few days.  And why not?  The list has some really interesting books on it, including a second novel from one of my favorite new writers:
  • Zoo City, Lauren Beukes (Angry Robot)
  • The Dervish House, Ian McDonald (Gollancz)
  • Monsters of Men, Patrick Ness (Walker)
  • Generosity, Richard Powers (Atlantic)
  • Declare, Tim Powers (Corvus)
  • Lightborn, Tricia Sullivan (Orbit)
You can probably guess who I am rooting for, right?  If not, then you haven't been paying attention the last few months.  I'm all in for Lauren Beukes.  Her second novel was amazing.  She presents an astonishing level of cultural detail in the novel, which you don't always get from fantastic works set in actual places.  I really hope they select her, though she's up against some stiff competition with a Tim Powers and Ian McDonald novel on the list, not to mention that a lot of people have been talking about Tricia Sullivan's Lightborn, which could very well snatch up the award.

It's also good to see women nominated for the award, though they are still outnumbered by the menfolk.  I'm not sure which other books by women would no only be eligible, but good enough for the award, though.  Anyone out there have thoughts on that?

Anywho.  For those interested, I reviewed Zoo City here and my friend and I interviewed her for our podcast here.

We'll find out who won at the SCI-FI-LONDON Film Festival on April 27, 2011.

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

No comments:

Post a Comment