The World in the Satin Bag has moved to my new website.  If you want to see what I'm up to, head on over there!

Sunday, June 07, 2009

Self-publishing Redux: The Good Books Three

In the aftermath of my criticism of self-publishing I thought it would be a good idea to point out some of those self-published books that I have enjoyed. Since no further introductions are needed, I'll just dig right in:

The Dark Dreamweaver by Nick Ruth
By far one of my favorite self-published fantasy novels. With a cast of bizarre and fascinating characters, this one gripped me when I first read it years ago and it's been in my library every since. It's the kind of book I can see reading to my future children (when or wherever they happen to spring up).
You can find my review of it here (warning: this is an exceptionally old review)

The Tales of Tanglewood: The Lon Dubh Whistle by Scott Kessman
I guess it's somewhat strange that two of the best self-published books I have read also happen to be novels meant for younger audiences. Still, Kessman's work is fun, a bit quirky, and magical; it's another one of those books that I'd love to read to my kids one day. We'll see!
You can find a link to my review here.

Honeycomb by Israel Del Rio
The one adult novel that I found to be quite remarkable. While it's not a perfect book, it's premise is fascinating and the writing is generally pretty strong. Contains some interesting examinations of the afterlife and the complicated relationships between a series of connected individuals. Certainly worthy of a good read, in my opinion.
You can find a link to my review here.

There you have it! Evidence that I don't hate all self-published novels. Have any of you read any particularly good SF/F novels that were self-published? Let me know in the comments!

Related Posts by Categories

Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book


  1. Hi - You might also try Alan Baxter 's Realmshift and MageSign.
    Indie author, excellent stories!
    more info here

    Thanks, Joanna

  2. Thanks for the recommendation, Joanna.

  3. Thanks for recommending The Dark Dreamweaver!

    I have a couple of recommendations:

    The Max Quick series, by Mark Jeffrey. The first book is The Pocket and the Pendant.

    A Wish After Midnight by Zetta Elliott

    Through the Eyes of a Raptor by Julie Hahnke

  4. Thanks for the recommendations, Sheila!

  5. I second The Pocket and the Pendant.

    And Camileon by Shykia Bell is great too!