The World in the Satin Bag has moved to my new website.  If you want to see what I'm up to, head on over there!

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Quick Movie Reviews: Volume One

Quickie reviews are basically shortened, basic reviews with a rating of movies that have already come out and gone from the theaters in the last year or so. This is my way of playing catch up basically.

(Other editions: Volume Two, Volume Three, Volume Four)

Here Goes.

Iron Man
Pros: Lots of action, decent storyline, and Robert Downey, Jr. is awesome. Plus, it's actually a well put together action flick.
Cons: It's a little predictable at times, but generally speaking I don't see anything really wrong with it. Surprisingly, I think it's one of the more "perfect" super-hero/Marvel flicks.
Rating: 4.5/5

Pineapple Express
Pros: James Franco plays a stoner and hilarity ensues. I laughed out loud a few times, which is good when I'm home by myself.
Cons: A little long. About 2/3rds in the film started to drag a bit. I think they could have cut out about 20 minutes and it would have flowed better.
Rating: 3/5

The Hulk (2008)
Pros: Better than the Ang Lee version, but only because it's an entirely different take on the green giant. Lots of good action, good characterization, and much better chemistry between Banner and Ms. Ross.
Cons: Still falls prey to the annoying overuse of CG, primarily because there are two monstrous guys this time instead of one. Not much of a fan of Tim Roth in this one, but then again, I'm not usually a fan of Tim Roth.

Rating: 3/5

Hellboy II: The Golden Army
Pros: Better than the first. I think they were smart to step back from the CG this time around because it helps make the film more authentic and visually stimulating. Hellboy is also awesome.
Cons: The reduction in CG also meant that certain characters looking more "fake," like in the first one where you could tell that mechanical puppetry was used. It's slight in this film, but noticeable. Minor acting flaws with the bad guy, too.
Rating: 3/5

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

Pros: A huge improvement from the first film. The kids have really come into their own and the story is well put together here. Excellent action, dialogue, and direction.
Cons: I didn't like the ending as much as in the first film. It's not bad and I imagine it comes from the book, but I'm generally uninterested in deus ex machina. Still, the movie is damn good.
Rating: 4/5

There you have it! More to come in the near future.

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

No comments:

Post a Comment