The World in the Satin Bag has moved to my new website.  If you want to see what I'm up to, head on over there!

Saturday, July 19, 2008

SBS Magazine: Changes and an Idea

Well, things are changing for how the magazine is going to work. Originally I was going to publish the thing from my home, using a printer and making little "booklet" style things. Then I found out that was going to be really hard without having to buy a bunch of things to make it work (such as a new printer just to make the printing process not take fourteen days to do).
So, I came up with several other options on how to do things.
I brought up the idea of doing a PDF with a print anthology at the end of the year: the members of YWO shot that down pretty quick (and I don't blame them).
Then I brought up the second idea. Since Lulu is a great source for printing books, I figured we could use that service as a source for printing, and the members seemed to like that idea.
With that in mind, we've decided to use Lulu to print SBS as a sort of anthology/magazine. We're shooting for biannual, perhaps quarterly if enough submissions come in. And that's how it's going to work (and it'll work well I think). It's not "technically" self-publishing, since Lulu is only the printer, not the actual publisher.
For those of you who don't know what SBS Magazine is (or Survival By Storytelling), it's the magazine I'm editing along with my girlfriend for my website Young Writers Online (YWO). It's going to feature a lot of young writing talent for fiction and poetry. If you're interested in being involved, feel free to check out the website and the magazine guidelines here. Those guidelines will likely change a little to reflect the adjustment in how the magazine is being printed, but for the most part it's correct. We've already accepted two short stories and a poem and hope to take in a lot of stuff over the next couple months (we'll see).

I also have an idea to make the magazine better, but I'm not sure how to approach it. I've thought of trying to get published authors involved in this, particularly folks who write short stories. It'd be interesting to have a featured author for each issue, someone who has been published before and would be willing to write a story for the magazine (for payment too, and that could be worked out). Anyone out there interested? It's a magazine featuring young writers, if that's any help.

Anyway, I think that's enough from me on this subject. Tell all your kids and teenagers!

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

No comments:

Post a Comment