The World in the Satin Bag has moved to my new website.  If you want to see what I'm up to, head on over there!

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Paul Haines Needs Help

Seems like it is really that time of year when people need donations and the like to help them through tough times. No, I am not complaining, I'm simply stating a fact. However, this one does hit home for me, seeing how I am a cancer survivor as well. From Matt Staggs' blog:
Back in September, Paul Haines, an Australian sf/f/h writer was diagnosed with bowel cancer. He had surgery and then chemo for six months and it was gone…or seemed to be. He recently was told that there are spots on his liver. The thing is, although most of his care is covered, he’s written this–

He [his oncologist] still wants to wait a couple of months (ideally he wants even more than that) to see how the cancer in my liver is behaving. He also understands our fear, our need, to not be sitting around waiting to do nothing. So in those couple of months we will try the other two forms of chemotherapy for cancers like I have and to combine that with a monoclonal antibody called Avastin. Chemo fights the tumour, the antibody fights the blood vessels feeding the tumour. Unfortunately, Avastin is not part of Medicare or the private health system’s funding at this stage, so we’re having to come up with $20,000 to do it. Our parents have said they will help us here, which is a great relief.

You can read his blog here:

http://paulhaines.livejournal.com/
$20,000 is a lot of money and not a lot of money at the same time. Again, help if you can spare a few bucks here. I don't know what the exchange rate is, but I imagine the U.S. dollar is worth a little more, which might mean every dollar helps double. It's for a good cause: helping battle cancer.

Thanks for your time.

(Don't click the read more, there isn't any more after this!)

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

No comments:

Post a Comment