The World in the Satin Bag has moved to my new website.  If you want to see what I'm up to, head on over there!

Friday, June 20, 2008

Overheard Drunken Musings

Just a random bit of information that came to me: apparently the neighbor who went on a drunken rampage a few nights ago has been charged with at least three counts of assault, assault on the elderly (whatever you might call that charge), disorderly conduct, and I'm sure some other things I don't know about. I guess when the landlord got hurt it wasn't an accident, but a deliberate assault to keep the old man from calling the police. I'm fairly certain that the drunken neighbor didn't realize what he was doing; he was so drunk his words were mostly incomprehensible and if there were sentences in his speech I certainly couldn't find places to put periods.
Now to what the title of this is about: I overheard the landlord discussing on the phone, whilst being a little slurred from consuming a little Brandy (I have to admit, at least his drinking has class, and he's actually a fun drunk, cause he's kind of nuts in the first place), that the drunken neighbor may be serving a year and a half in jail. I don't know if this is true, and I don't know if I necessarily agree with such a long punishment. Said neighbor is actually a good guy, but obviously mixed up and in need of help either from his failing lifestyle (the guy is at least 40 and he does not hold down a regular job) or his drinking (apparently he has a DUI on his record, or more than one, and has lost his driver's license because of it), though most likely from both aspects. If we had the State programs to give him help I would agree with giving him help, since he clearly needs it. But since we don't have those programs, jail time is all we have to offer. Should he go to jail? Yes, of course. He went freaking crazy and was far too drunk for any sensible person to be. He assaulted three people on purpose and hurt another man by accident. Jail time is necessary and I imagine now that he is sobered up he is realizing to some extent how much he has screwed up.
So, that's the random bit of news for the day. One and a half years of jail time. Maybe things were worse that I was told?

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

2 comments:

  1. My mind starts to wander on how many chances he received and did not grab on for the help?!

    It takes a willingness spirit during difficult times. Of course treatment (state programs. etc.) is ideal, but sometimes a person needs to hit rock bottom before they grab hold. I would assume jail would do that.

    Tis scary & sad to see in this world as I've already saw a lot of similar stuff with my own father until he passed away in'97. Faith tells me he is in a better place now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, he kind of already hit rock bottom before when he got a DUI, lost his truck, his license, etc. He was just digging under the bottom layer, trying to find a worse place to go (somewhat intentionally I think).
    Hopefully he gets help.

    ReplyDelete